Because of the implementation of the enhanced community lockdown, three construction workers from Manila to Pangasinan were thought to walk. They walked because President Duterte’s announcement also included a ban on public utility vehicles that were still traveling and because they had no access, they took advantage of returning to their province to be with their family by walking.
They arrived in Bulacan and there some police cared for them and they were brought to Nueva Ecija.
Eight are now undergoing 14 days of self-quarantine to ensure that those not brought COVID-19 to their home.
Many netizens were heartbroken by the eight construction workers who thought to travel from Manila to Pangasinan to be with their families while the entire Luzon was still being in enhanced community quarantine.
According to ABS-CBN’s Joanna Tacason, Jerry Estacio, one of the eight construction workers, said they had been thinking about it after declaring that they would be out of work on March 16 at noon by the said community quarantine to prevent ongoing outbreaks of coronavirus disease 2019 or COVID-19 in the country.
Unfortunately, that same night, mass public transportation was banned and therefore no longer had any vehicles traveling. They only take five minutes to rest on the way to eat and then go straight to the walk again.
When they arrived in Bulacan, a policeman has a good heart and made them board and take them to Nueva Ecija.
From there, they walked again to Gerona Tarlac where their Barangay Captain had brought them to their respective area. It is a great thing that the police have been able to keep up with them because their going to their home was so easy.
Upon arriving at their place, they were immediately checked into the Municipal Health Office and said they were in good condition. In the meantime, they will still be undergoing a 14-day quarantine to ensure they are not exposed to COVID-19. They are all Persons Under Monitoring since they are from Manila where most of the confirmed cases come from.
In the previous report, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo noted that the president had already said to help stranded citizens return to their homes.
This is one of the new president’s directives after seeing the impact of what he now calls “Luzon Lockdown.” According to the Department of Health, there have been 217 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country, including 17 dec3ased and 8 recovering.
What can you say about this? Have you experienced walking just to go to your work and home because of the enhanced community quarantine? Kindly share your comments, reactions, and thoughts with us.